If your children are eating school meals, please continue to chat with them about what they ate, which parts they enjoyed or the aspects they found challenging. And keep encouraging your children to taste and try new flavours, even if it is the tiniest mouthful!
The criteria and intent of the GIMS school menu can be summarised as follows:
1) We aim to use vegetables from our GIMS garden, and source local ingredients that are in season wherever possible.
2) None of the foods offered contain: added trans fats / flavour enhancers / added sugars.
3) Salads are given prominence so that children see the importance of raw vegetables, different colours and textures.
4) Internationally ‘inspired’ dishes are featured on the menu to encourage children to experience new flavours and reflect the growing diversity of our community.
There is a specific parent committee for suggestions regarding the food at GIMS, and we would love to know if you have recipes that you think the children would enjoy. The criteria for a successful GIMS dish are:
1. Is it healthy and full of nutrients for growing children?
2. Can it be made without too much difficulty in a small kitchen for about 50 children?
3. Do your own children love eating it?!
Thank you to those of you who have already sent recipes in! If have
any suggestions, comments or recipes so please email firstname.lastname@example.org